Open a Restaurant in Cyprus
Open a Restaurant in CyprusUpdated on Friday 12th April 2019
based on 3 reviews.
Foreign investors can also rely on our lawyers for support in opening a restaurant business in Cyprus.
The food industry in Cyprus
Business registration for opening a restaurant in Cyprus
The first step related to opening a restaurant business in Cyprus is to register a company with the Trade Register. It is important to note that according to the Ministry for Tourism, the following persons and corporate entities are allowed to open restaurants or other types of food establishments in Cyprus:
- - Cypriot citizens are allowed to set up any type of food business, in accordance with the national laws;
- - foreign citizens with residency in an EU country can also set up restaurants or other types of food businesses in Cyprus;
- - foreign companies with headquarters in other EU countries are also welcome to set up operations in the restaurant sector in Cyprus;
- - foreign citizens from non-EU countries must obtain a residence permit prior to setting up a restaurant.
In other words, only Cypriot and EU residents can set up restaurants in this country. With respect to foreign companies from non-EU states, the branch office and the subsidiary are the preferred choices.
In order to set up a restaurant in Cyprus, the business owners must prepare the Articles of Association of the company which must contain information about the activities of the business in accordance with the NACE codes. The documents must be filed with the Trade Register in Cyprus which will issue the business license for the restaurant.
Following the company registration, the business owner must obtain the restaurant establishment license from the Ministry for Tourism.
Our law firm in Cyprus can handle the procedure of registering a business with the purpose of opening a restaurant on behalf of foreign investors.
Requirements for setting up a restaurant in Cyprus
How to obtain a restaurant establishment license in Cyprus
The licensing procedure of a Cypriot restaurant is not complicated; however, the business owner must pay attention to all the documents which need to be prepared. For example, in the case of new buildings which will host the restaurant activities, a construction permit is required. For this, the owner will also need to obtain a planning permit with the Planning Authority in the city the restaurant will operate.
Then, the catering establishment license must be obtained. The documents for obtaining such a license must be submitted one month prior to the opening of the Cypriot restaurant.
The following documents must be filed with the Ministry for Tourism:
- a copy of the property title of the business (it can be obtained from the Land Registry in Cyprus);
- a copy of the identification papers of the business owners (ID or passports are required);
- a declaration of the business owner related to the operations to be completed by the company;
- information about the manager of the restaurant (the person must also have specific qualifications);
- a copy of the planning permit issued by the authorities which must specify the exact use of the building;
- the residence permit(s) of non-EU citizens who will work in the Cypriot restaurant.
The business owner will also need to have the premises of the restaurant inspected by the Medical Services and Public Health Services which will issue the health certificate. This certificate must also be submitted with the Ministry for Tourism.
The business owner will also be required to submit a price list of the food and beverages to be served on the premises of the restaurant.
In the case of corporate owners, the following documents must be filed:
- - the company’s Articles of Association (copy);
- - the company’s Certificate of Registration (copy);
- - the Certificate of the Directors and Secretary (copy);
- - the Certificate of the Registered Address in Cyprus (copy).
Our attorneys in Cyprus can explain all the legal requirements to be respected when opening a restaurant in this country.
Other requirements related to opening a restaurant in Cyprus
Apart from the licensing requirements a Cypriot restaurant is subject to, the business owner must also consider the fact that the manager of the establishment is subject to certain criteria in order to be appointed.
The manager must have graduated a hotel or tourist occupations school or have a 6-year secondary school certificate and one year of experience in the food and beverages industry. If these conditions aren’t met, the manager must have at least 3 years of experience in the same industry. The manager must have a clean criminal record.
It is also important to note that the trade name of the Cypriot restaurant must be approved by the Ministry for Tourism. The restaurant must also comply with the operating hours, as imposed by the Ministry.