Notary Services in Cyprus
Notary Services in CyprusUpdated on Tuesday 19th January 2021
Rate this article
based on 5 reviews.
based on 5 reviews.
The public notary is an officer of the public system which is meant to offer various services related to non-contentious matters. In Cyprus, the role of public notaries is taken by attorneys who can guide civil and commercial clients in various matters.
Below, our lawyers in Cyprus explain the notary services they can offer.
Public notaries in Cyprus
According to Chapter 2 in the Advocates Law, lawyers in Cyprus have the right to carry out notarial duties, as the public notary notion does not exist. All lawyers conducting notarial activities must be part of the Cyprus Bar Association. The only notarial activity admitted by Cypriot laws is that of certifying officers that have the right to authenticate documents. Cypriot certifying officers are nominated by the Ministry of the Interior and are not required to be lawyers in order to conduct their activity.
Legalization of documents in Cyprus
All documents drafted in Cyprus with the intention of being recognized by foreign authorities must be legalized. The legalization of documents in Cyprus is conducted by lawyers acting as public notaries. One way of legalizing a document is to place an apostille on the document or to legalize it with the local embassy or consulate of the country in Cyprus.
Cyprus is a signatory member of the Hague Convention on Private International Law, Convention that was also enacted as the national Law 178/86. The Convention allows a simplification in the formalities required to legalize documents. The Convention created a simplified procedure of authentication of documents finalized with a certificate, called an apostille, on the document. The apostille means a document carrying it is considered authentic under the provisions of the Hague Convention.
In case of Cypriot powers of attorney that are some of the most employed legalized documents, the authentication is comprised of few steps:
- first, the Cypriot notary will attest the power of attorney was signed before him,
- the power of attorney will then be presented to the commissioner’s office where a specimen of the notary is kept,
- the commissioner will attest the signature and place a seal on the power of attorney.
Once these formalities are accomplished, the power of attorney will be delivered to the Ministry of Justice in Nicosia who will apostille the document.
Notary services available in Cyprus
Among the notary services provided by our law firm in Cyprus are:
- powers of attorney,
- contract authentication,
- house rental contract authentication,
- transfer of property at the Cypriot Land Register,
- certified copies of documents.
Assistance in opening companies in Cyprus
Our Cypriot attorneys can take on the role of certifying officers and help foreign investors who want to open companies here. As public notaries we can help with:
- drafting and certifying the statutory documents of the company;
- filing the company’s incorporation documents with the Trade Register in Cyprus;
- preparing and certifying other documents needed to obtain licenses in Cyprus;
- representing foreign investors in their relations with the authorities in Cyprus.
Our law firm in Cyprus can also guide foreign company owners who want to hire foreign personnel and who need notary services for certifying the documents needed for the issuance of work permits.
Notary services for relocating to Cyprus
Cyprus was one of the first European countries to have an immigration program for foreign businessmen. In order to be able to relocate to Cyprus, a foreigner will need to have various documents translated and certified, a case in which our public officers can help.
Among the notary services we offer related to immigration for business purposes we mention:
- preparing, translating and certifying passports and other identification papers needed for immigration;
- submitting all the paperwork requested by the authorities with the immigration offices in Cyprus;
- preparing and notarizing the papers needed to purchase properties under the Golden Visa program in Cyprus;
- handling the registration process of companies incorporated as foreign investors moving to Cyprus under the investment program;
- certifying the documents showing the applicant fulfills the conditions requested under the Golden Visa program.
The authentication of public documents in Cyprus
In order to be considered legal and be acknowledged by various authorities, official documents must be apostilled and signed by a public notary in Cyprus. Among these documents, we can mention the following:
- identification papers and passports,
- birth and death certificates,
- marriage and divorce certificates,
- criminal records,
- translations of the documents presented above.
In the case of corporate documents, these can take the form of the Memorandum and Articles of Association used to incorporate companies (it should be noted that the Trade Register does not accept unauthenticated documents), contracts, translations of Certificates of Registration, statements and powers of attorney through which directors and secretaries are appointed.
All these papers can be authenticated by our lawyers who can also help you set up a business in Cyprus if you want to.
Notary services for individuals in Cyprus
Both juridical and natural persons require the assistance of public notaries in Cyprus. When it comes to the second category of clients, notaries can assist in a wide range of matters, among which:
- drafting of marriage contracts (pre-nuptial agreements),
- drafting of almost every type of will acknowledged by the Cypriot law
- preparation of rental and lease contracts,
- drafting of real estate pre-sale and sale agreements.
Apart from these, considering notary services are usually provided by Cypriot lawyers, clients can also benefit from the verification of these documents.
In the case of foreign citizens who need such services in Cyprus, we can help them with the certification of various documents, such as identification papers.
When it comes to drafting wills, these can be written down by a person, however, it needs to be authenticated by a notary. There is also the option of having it prepared directly by the public notary. Also, different requirements apply when it comes to the validity of a testament depending on the way in which it was drafted. For example, when prepared by a person, there will appear the need of witnesses.
Considering these are sensitive matters, we advise you discuss with our lawyers on the best wat to act.
Assistance in real estate matters in Cyprus
Many times, a Cypriot public notary is a great help when dealing with real estate matters, as all documents related to the transaction, be it a purchase or rental, must be authenticated.
The public notary can attest documents like pre-sale agreements in order to make sure the deal will be concluded, especially when an advance payment is made. Then, the sale-purchase contract must also be apostilled in order to be accepted by the Land Registry when issuing the new property title.
In case of rentals, it is always a good idea to have the lease or tenancy agreement authenticated in order to make sure it complies to the regulations imposed in this country.
Choosing a public notary in Cyprus
In many cases, there are various public notaries offices in Cypriot cities, case in which one can easily find one. It is also possible to find a notary based on recommendations or by simply using the services of a law firm in Cyprus when it comes to matters that also require legal attention.
In order to verify a lawyer who can provide notary services, it is sufficient to search him/her with the Cyprus Bar Association.
Our lawyers are members of the Bar Association and our services are available in large cities like Limassol, Paphos, and Nicosia.
Why ask for our notary services in Cyprus?
Our attorneys in Cyprus have experience in a wide variety of legal matters, including certifying documents. We combine legal advice with public notary services in order to offer complete assistance to the clients who need a one-stop service at affordable prices. Our customers can benefit from both legal counseling and notary services in Cyprus under very advantageous conditions.
Our Cypriot lawyers can explain all the requirements related to moving to Cyprus.
Cyprus’ economic status
According to recent information issued by Focus Economics:
- in 2019, Cyprus’ economy increased by 3.2% followed by a drop because of the Covid-19 crisis,
- in 2021, however, it is expected to rebound and register an increase of 4.5%,
- for 2022 also predictions are optimistic with a forecast growth of 4%.
FAQ on notary services in Cyprus
- Is it hard to find a public notary in Cyprus?
No, it is not hard, as there are plenty offices around the country.
- If I am a foreigner, can I get in touch with a notary before arriving in the country if I need help?
Yes, you can contact the notary and even schedule a meeting in advance in order to not delay your matters here.
- How long would it take for documents to be apostilled?
It usually depends on the number of documents, however, it is recommended to consider sending the documents a few days ahead the date you need them.
- How much does it cost to have some documents notarized?
Even there are certain recommended fees, each notary has his/her own tariffs which can vary. You should also know that the fees are established based on the number of documents to be apostilled.
You can contact our attorneys in Cyprus for details about all available legal services.